Friday 25 June 2010

I cross the threshold into a colourless cell every morning. 
Every morning my colleagues and I hunch over our desks and stare wearily ahead like stationary lemmings.
Every morning I disentangle electric wires, telephone cables, and the everyday furniture of office life in a bid to conscientiously undertake my menial duties.
Every morning I interact through Excel, Outlook, and the Intranet -  the insufferable language of Microsoft which, quite frankly, is almost an alien tongue to me.
Every morning the same unflattering strip lighting, the same mass-produced tea bags, the same platitudinous greetings.
Jaundice.


What motivations, if any, do I have for articulating this self-indulgent drivel?


Let me say emphatically that I do not think that there is anything remotely unique or extraordinary about the above condition.  It does not warrant either sympathy or admiration.


As tedious as it sounds, I write only to develop a transparent and collective dialogue. 


Recently, Kites recorded a demo that we have entitled, ‘The Black Dog’.


It concerns monotony; it basks in the humdrum of everyday existence; it tries to conjure up that stale sense of ennui that infects so many. Conversely, it also acknowledges how petulant, how feeble, such sentiments can be.


2 comments:

  1. Oh Matt, you do us an injustice! Mass produced tea? We have a fine range of 'erbals!

    You should have called this blog 'wearkites', suggesting people to wear kites. Or 'Warekites', about people who turn into murderous kites around full-moons.

    Toodles.

    ReplyDelete